<- Back Home


click image to enlarge

Yamamoto Shunkyo (1871-1933) & Zezeyaki
Zezeyaki
Tsutsu chawan, tea cup - Tatsu tsuru, standing crane
Signed: Shunkyo with kaô
Seals: Zeze
Technique: Red raku with underglaze decoration Ø 10 x 8.3
Date: Spring of 1922
Box: Authorized by Taiga sanjin 太我山人
Condition: fine

Shunkyo was born in Shiga prefecture. He studied painting with Nomura Bunkyo (1854-1911), but after Bunkyo moved to Tokyo in 1885, Shunkyo became a pupil of Mori Kansai (1814-1894). Together with Tsuji Kakô (1870-1931) he worked at Takashimaya department store where they created designs for export textiles. He studied photography and yôga (western-style oil painting). After 1900 he became one of the most successful Nihonga artists in Kyoto and his juku (private school) was as popular as that of Takeuchi Seihô (1864-1942). After his return to Shiga, his house and studio near Lake Biwa were located next-door to the Zezeyaki kiln, which he helped revive.

Reference:
Kyôto 1982
Shiga 1985
Shiga 2000
Berry & Morioka ‘99 pp. 126-127
Conant pp. 330-331
Roberts p. 196

Tankai Zeze, Yôenen was the potter who started up Zezeyaki.

Zezeyaki is the ceramic (tea) ware created in Ôtsu, on lake Biwa, former home of Zeze castle.
“With the support of local artists, Iwasaki Kenzô succeeded in reviving Zeze tea ceramics in the traditional style, beginning in 1919.” Crueger 2004, p. 149. Some of these locals where the potters Itô Tozan 1st and 2nd and Yamamoto Shunkyo. A workshop of Shunkyo is located near Kagero-en (revived Zezeyaki).


Price: EUR 750 / USD 862